Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Weekends in Accra (Easter Weekend and Jessie's Goodbyes)

The Wednesday before Easter Betsy and I headed to Accra for the long weekend. We stayed at our friends house...it was so nice not have to pay for a room. While there I had a blast. I had not been in the big city since V-day. Wednesday night we went to a place called Duplex where I had great pineapple juice and groundnuts. Thursday we ran tons of errands around town- the highlight was going to Max Mart to buy soft shell tortillas. Later we ate at beach bar and grill called Tawala. It was literally on the beach. As you sit at your table there is sand making its way between your toes. Their vegetable fried rice was fantastic. After Tawala- Lori, a girl from North Carolina, and a few other friends went to the US Embassy for a "Dress You Decade" themed party. It was fun to see what the US military in Ghana do for fun. The Embassy was really nice too. After this short outing we head to yet another destination- Bywells. It was an outdoor bar with a dance floor. I boogied down hard until a woman in high heels stepped down on my bare foot (I only wait sandals here). It was great night. Friday was Good Friday so most things were closed. Vossie, Betsy, Bruce & Rianna (a nice South African couple that the moved here for work), and Awa (Lori's child) spent the day hanging out at the mall. We even when to a MOVIE!!! I forgot how much I love going to movies in the theater. We saw Marley and Me and we all cried our eyes out- all except Awa (she has never had a dog). Later we went back to Duplex where I had a great veggie pizza and did KARAOKE! Could this weekend get any better? Well yes it can when you spend Saturday and Sunday watching TV(tons of rugby which I love), going out to a great hotel for pizza and swimming, ordering pizza delivery, sitting in the A/C and taking hot showers. We left Tuesday to go back to Agogo. I for once missed Accra.



The following weekend was Jessie's last in Ghana. Jessie and I did tons of great stuff on Saturday. We went shopping at the crazy and frustrating Cultural Centre, saw handmade crazy shaped coffins (a lion, tanker truck, camera, a crab, a chicken, a bible, and a Star Beer bottle), and visited Global Mama's for last minute gifts. Sunday we hit our friend's pool and Jessie got more tan to show off to her friend back home. The weekend was fun, but I already hate that she is gone- damn you Jessie!



Currently I am back in Agogo just reading and making TLMs.

2 comments:

robin said...

you should follow up these adventures with an adventure in korea with me!

Unknown said...

Hi. Your blog came up in a web search for Tawala bar and grill in Accra. I was there two summers ago (I live in NYC) and am about to go again (to Accra). I've told some friends that Tawala is my favorite bar on Earth. But I do recall that cab drivers had trouble finding it. And (sadly) I can't recall quite how to get there. Any helpful tips you can provide to a fellow traveler are appreciated :) D