Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kim Comes for a Visit and My Last Day in Ghana

My good friend Kim, aka McGee, arrived on Wednesday June 10th to Accra. This was her first trip to Ghana and I did my best to give her a tour of Accra and the Cape Coast area before we both flew back to the US on June 16th.

Our first stop upon her arrive is a spot called Duplex, owned by a friend named Bob. We ate pizza as we visited with Vossie and Betsy. Then we hit the hay for our big day in Accra.

On Thursday we woke up, ate breakfast at Frankie's and then headed to the National Museum. It took three taxi's to get there (first one got lost, second one broke down).

The museum was educational and well put together. Above Kim stands next to a Kente cloth loom. We also saw artifacts from archeological digs. It was a worthwhile visit.

After the museum we visited W.E. DuBois's (an American, Pan-African civil rights leader) mausoleum which was also W.E. DuBois home in Ghana. A tour guide showed us around and gave us the background of the grounds which included W.E.DuBois's extensive library.

Below is where W.E. DuBois is lay to rest and our guide. It was interesting to find a Clark Atlanta banner that was on display on his grave.




After this day in Accra we made our way to the bus station to catch the 4:30pm bus to Cape Coast. We stayed our first two night in a hotel called the Savoy. First thing Friday morning we had "Brother" my favorite cab driver come take us to Kakum National Park, where Ellen, Tracy, and I visited in January. Kim braved the bridges and we made it through the forest safely.

Once we finished at Kakum we went to a Hans Cottage Botel (a hotel on a boat). The Botel was special because not only was the hotel and restaurant on a swamp area, but the swamp was full of crocodiles. Kim and I were able to touch one without feeding it a live chicken!



Once we left the crocs we headed back to my favorite place to eat- Assasa Paa in Cape Coast. I had a delicious tofu salad, vegetable pie, and tofu kebab. Yum!


After the lunch we headed to the Cape Coast Castle, where Ellen, Tracy, Obama, and I have visited before. It was education and moving.



We hit the hay after a this long day to be ready for our day of Workshops! I signed Kim and I up to attend a Batik (a cloth dying technique with the use of wax)) workshop and Drumming and Dancing workshop from the Women in Progress association. It was a very busy day, but amazing.



Above I am stamping my sheet with wax and below Kim dips her stamp in to the boiling wax.

My finally product is below! As well as our great teacher, Mary.
Below are our drumming and dancing teachers.
Kim drumming during our workshops.

When we finished our workshops we hoped into a cab and headed to Anomabu Beach Resort. This place was fantastic! A must stay if your are traveling to Ghana. It was on the beach and had fantastic rooms, serve, and food. I was so excited to see POTATOES! My first fresh potatoes since I have been in Ghana.





We left Anomabu and headed back to Accra. Once we reached Accra we spend the next few nights with the friends I had made at my time in Accra. Friends like Vossie from South Africa, Mario from LA, Lori from North Carolina, Gemma from England, and Avi from Ghana. We ate great food and did Karaoke at Duplex.

Above Mario and Kim break it down for the crowd at Duplex. Below Gemma and her friend Sharon, who was on holiday visiting, hungout to the wee hours for our (Betsy and I's) going away party.
Below Kim and I have Khebabs at Venus for my last night in Ghana.


George, Avi and Cindy met us out at my final dinner.

Since my flight left at 10am the next morning and Kim's left at 5pm, Lori (on left) hung out with Kim for her finally day in Ghana. This was my last picture of my dancing partner Lori...I hope to see her soon when she returns home to North Carolina.


I couldn't sleep at all my last night in Ghana (June 15th). Kim and I stayed up late talking and even got a call from the hotel manager because we were keep up guest...a first! I tossed and turned. I was worried about forgeting something and sleeping in. I was picked up at 7am by Vossie and he dropped both Betsy and I off at the airport. It was so hard to say goodbye to everyone, but the worst was Vossie. He has been a fantastic friend and it was hard knowing that was the last Vossie hug I would get in a really long time. Below is a picture from a few weeks before of Vossie and Betsy eating sushi at Monsoons.

Betsy and I got our baggage checked, found our gate, and waited for an hour longer than expected. Both Betsy and I sat silently as we waited to board our plane. Here is Betsy looking much more awake then I expected.

Once the flight began to board I felt overwhelmed with sadness and fear. I was sad because I have no idea when I will ever see my Ghanaian friend's again, or if I will ever be back. The fear was due to having no idea how it would feel to be back in America. Back to a overbooked schedule, overpriced items, and overwhelming lifestyle.

The flight home was long, but altough I was exhausted I couldn't sleep. As I flew for hours to New York City I watch countless movies that had been out in the US, but I had never heard of. I already felt as though the culture shock had begun.

June 16 around 5pm we landed in New York City and I exited JFK for my first trip to NYC. As I type these lines it ia August 5 and I can't believe that was months ago. I have been putting off this entry for months, because I haven't yet dealt this the fact I am really back in the US for good. I feel like I am just on some vacation.

I daydream about Agogo constantly and miss the sunsets over the mountains. I miss the children in the neighborhood that called me Madam Alice. I wonder what Ma and Josephine are talking about right now and if my favorite vegetable lady is still selling out of carrots by the end of market day. I even miss the packed tro-tro's and loud chickens that would wake me at 5am.

When people ask me, "How was Africa?" I don't know what to say. I don't think they have the time for me to accurately answer that question. One word will not do, and so far I can't find any words.

When people ask me, "Would you do it again?" I easily say "Yes". This experience has changed me in the best ways I know. I came to help teachers, but the teachers, friends, and coworkers I met gave me 10 times the amount of knowledge that I could ever give.

If you are planning a trip to Ghana or any new country to teach people...UNDERSTAND THIS- you are not there to teach....You are there to LEARN FIRST and help second. Africa is amazing place, but they don't need more foreigners coming the telling them what they need to do. They need support in their quest to better their own communities.

If you have been reading my blog for the last 9 months- I hope I haven't bored you to tears. I have had a great adventure and plan to keep having adventures....so stay tuned. And thank you for your support!

alison


2 comments:

Ama Kyei said...

Alison, Thank you for creating such an informative an interesting blog on your experience in Ghana and with IFESH. I am actually applying to IFESH and so excited and scared! I really want to be accepted into the program but can only wonder if I am credentially sound. Would you mind answering a few questions I have about the program? Please let me know!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great blog. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about IFESH as I plan to apply this summer.

If so, please email me at: kstris@gmail.com

Thanks,
-Kaitlin