Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Americans Come to Visit- Part 2

After our lunch at Asasse Pa we took a few minutes to walk on the beach. Then we hit the street to walk to the Cape Coast Castle (or dungeon).


This was the sight where thousands of Africans were taken as slaves and shipped to countries around the world.

It was a beautiful building, but the historical events that occurred on its grounds made it hard to enjoy its architecture. We walked around an educational museum that housed chains and shackles from the slave trade.

As our guide Eric took us in the male dungeon, the female dungeon,

the door of no return, and the “Cell” I was overwhelmed. To think that 150 “trouble makers” were taken to “The Cell” that was no larger than the room I am currently typing this in, a door shut behind them, no food, no lights, no windows or air source. Then the door was opened a week or two later to drag out the dead bodies is something hard to grasp. There are many other stories about this haunting building, but I don’t have the skills to retell them now, but if you want to learn more click here. The following are pictures from our tour.

We went to the internet in Cape Coast and then headed back to our hotel in Elmina. We decided to take advance of the location and take pictures out of the windows of our hotel. Here they are:


Below in the Elmina Castle


We picked up food on the street: oranges,

bread, laughing cow cheese (for the girls), and soda (called minerals here).
The sidewalk was pretty cool too.

The next morning, Friday, we packed up, walked around Elmina, and then headed to the bus station for the 1:30pm bus to Kumasi, which didn’t arrive until 3:30pm.

While we waited patiently we made friend with an Aussie named Becks.

She is an international tour guide extraordinaire from Tasmania. Her job leads her all over southern and eastern Africa and living out of a bus for 58 days at a time. One day I think I will have to book a 58 day trip with her. What a story that will be!

Our trip to Kumasi took about four hours. When we arrived we met my IFESH friend, Jessie. Then we all went to dinner at Vic Baboos.

Vic Baboos is where I have eaten countless times due to its large vegetarian friendly menu. This time I had a veggie burger while Tracy had a yummy pasta dish shown here.


We headed back to our hotel, Sambra, and Jessie and I stayed up late chatting it up. The next morning we got the standard free breakfast, toast and tea, and hit the Kejetia Market to sight see and buy fabric. Ellen wasn’t feeling so well so we left her sleeping in the A/C while we hit the hot streets and multitude of people. Jessie, Tracy, and I found tons of fabrics and made friends with the sells lady.

When we returned from shopping we chartered a taxi, which was reasonably cheap with the four of us, to Kuntananse and then hopped in another cab to Lake Bosumtwi. This is the same Lake Point Guesthouse that Jessie and I spent our Christmas day lounging around. Minutes after we arrived Betsy and the Canadians, Rabina and Laura, arrived for our exciting visit. It was fun checking as the Brown Family of 7.

I had great meals – as usual. I had a yummy veggie pasta dish with a side of vegan coleslaw-ish salad.


For dinner I had a zucchini dish over rice- yum! And a coke- nice to have a taste of Atlanta anywhere I go.

Dinner was nice. Below are Betsy, Rabina, Laura, Tracy, Ellen, and Jessie.

Ater showering Betsy and I thought alike and dressed in our matching dresses. How cute/dorky are we?

We had a blast journaling,

talking, laughing, eating, lounging,

swimming, boating,

reading, and resting. It was fun to have this time with my American friends and my Canadian friends since they would be living in only a few more weeks.

Above is Laura, Jessie, Betsy, Ellen, Tracy, myself, and Rabina at the lake.
Sunday morning we waited patiently for our taxis that didn’t show, so we had the friendly owner of Lake Point call us a pair of taxis- since there were 7 of us. Only one cab pulled up, but we decided that since it was a station wagon we could fit Jessie in the front seat, Tracy, Ellen, Laura, and Betsy in the back seat, and Rabina and I would huddle close to the luggage together in the trunk.

It was hilarious and after 25 minutes in a trunk of a taxi I was let out in Ejisu to take a tro-tro to Konongo and then own to Agogo.

Sunday night Betsy made a wonderful pasta dinner for the seven of us. Along with tea bread (the closest Ghanaian French/Italian bread), olive oil dip, pineapple, minerals from Ellen and homemade cookies from Laura and Rabina.

It was a nice night.

After dinner it was FINALLY time for me to open the larger suitcase Ellen and Tracy had brought full of goodies for me!

I had Jessie, Laura, Rabina, Betsy, Ellen, and Tracy watch as I closed my eyes and reached my hand in the bag taken everything out one at a time. It felt like a wedding shower as pictures snapped and we sat in a circle. I received movies, food, books, clothes, an ipod, music, knick knacks, and birthday cards. So thank you everyone that put so many great things in that bag. It made my birthday fantastic! Thanks goes out to Jill and Tony, Ryan James, Blair, Patrick and Lisa, Jen, Robin, Molly, Tracy, Ellen, Leigh and Ken, Genna, Tori, and whoever else I am being so rude to forget (seriously I am sorry- there was a lot of stuff).

And Besty got coffee! She was excited too!
Monday morning Tracy, Ellen, and I explored Agogo. I showed them my favorite vendors and what a typical day in my life is like. It was so funs to have my Ghanaian friends meet my American friends. It was also nice to have a day off of traveling.

Monday night we ate at the fanciest restaurant in Agogo, the Dollar Days Inn.

Here are Tracy, Laura, and Ellen at Dollar Days Inn.

We sat out on the porch of this three-story building until we were hit with a hard downpour. Which was unexpected during the dry season. We all had fried rice- because it is good, and it is the only food offered at the restaurant.

We went to bed early since we had to leave at 5am for Accra. It was a rough morning due to a long night of upset stomachs- so much for the good fried rice. We made it to Accra before noon and checked into my hotel- Hotel Crown Prince. The staff there is nice, but the location is too busy for my liking.

We spent the day doing my grocery shopping and souvenir shopping. I took Ellen and Tracy to the Accra Mall. It is the most western place in all of Ghana and they loved every minute of the A/C. Afterwards we meandered around Osu. Finally we headed back to my hotel to pack up. After writing postcards we headed to the airport and realized that I couldn’t wait with them. I had to say my goodbyes before I was ready- although I wouldn’t have ever really been ready-and got a taxi back to my hotel alone.

Everyone in this world needs to see and experience Africa and I am so happy that Ellen and Tracy did. I am also grateful that they came halfway through my stay here. I miss home at times, but most of all the people (and my dog) that I feel like I can be myself around.

Thank you Ellen and Tracy- you both made me so happy and I will never forget our stories from A-Z, Tracy’s love for the 5 peswa oranges, Ellen’s interactions with our funny Cape Coast Castle guide, and seeing you guys walk out the airport doors. Thank you for being such amazing friends.

No comments: