Friday, February 20, 2009

IFESH Meeting- February 6


On Thursday, February 5th, Betsy and I headed to Kumasi for an IFESH meeting. Our meeting was set for Friday, so Thursday we planned to meet up with our KNUST partners. We arrived by tro-tro to Kumasi around noon and then checked into our hotel. It was beautiful and had a pool, restaurant, gym, hot running water, a/c, and Internet (3cedis an hour though). It was called the Miklin Hotel.

After saying hi to our IFESH friends we headed to a meeting with Mariama, an art education lecturer at KNUST. During our meeting we planned the date we would host workshops for her graduate art education students and the topics that would be helpful to cover. The meeting was fantastic and we did this all over amazing India food! The selection of vegetarian options at the Moti Mahal restaurant was superb.

Once we were good and stuffed Mariama dropped us at our hotel where we relaxed and visited with the crew. It was nice to catch up with how everyone is enjoying their placement and positions. One of the other volunteers has even gotten engaged to a man she met while living in Accra! There wedding is set for March 14- so I am sure I will have a pictures and stories later.

Friday’s meetings went well. All of the volunteers spoke about what exactly they had been doing in their IFESH position and it was nice to share ideas. I am excited about this next semester, because I have a much better grasp on my position and what it entails now. We also received new and improved forms for reports- just like working in the public schools. It was nice to see Kwesi and Stella, our country directors, and catch up.

After our meetings wrapped up Amiyana and I went shopping at Opuku Trading Company, a great grocery store, and she bought me a birthday cake.

It was so thoughtful that I hated the fact I couldn’t eat a slice since it wasn’t vegan. When everyone returned from eating out we had a nice cake and wine party for my birthday (which was the following Sunday).

It was also interesting to celebrate a birthday on Friday, February 6th when that was my deceased mother’s birthday. It is funny how things work out.

On Saturday, Betsy, Jessie, and I boarded a STC bus for Tamale around 10:30am for the most exciting trip I had yet to have in Ghana.

No comments: