Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Teaching Teachers


Up until now I have only been working with students of Agogo Presbyterian Training College. They are women that are in training to be teachers, but have yet to do their student teaching. While the APTC students were away on their Christmas break we had teachers from surround communities come to complete course and tests for there teaching certification. I did not have a set class time so I just held open hours everyday from 3pm-4:30pm. Once the free time to make Teaching Learning Materials (TLMs) became more popular I came earlier and stayed later.

I went from having 15 visitors to 53! It was very exciting. On Sunday, the teachers last day on campus, I started open hours at 1pm and stayed until after 5pm. I gave everyone that came a free homemade poster (from earlier classes). The teachers were thrilled to get a poster and to have the supplies and aid to create their very own TLMs.

People were making big books, pocket charts, phonics slides, and flash cards.

On the last day there were so many people that there was not enough room in the TRC so people worked on tables outside. I look forward to seeing what these teachers create when they return in April on the APTC students Spring break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is awesome! i'm so proud of you!