Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bomfobiri Wildlife Reserve


On Saturday, November 22, Laura, Rabina, and I chartered a taxi to take us to the Bomfobiri Wildlife Reserve. It is so close to Agogo, but you have to drive around in almost a complete circle because the direct road to it is far to bad. It too a bit over 2 hours to get their.

Above are Rabina, Laura, our guide, and our cab driver before our hike.

The guide told us about the Bomfobiri waterfall, monkeys, crocodiles, and how to get their. Once we arrived at the office to get our guide the pricing was just like Bradt said (a first). It was very beautiful. You could see mountains everywhere, long grassy plains, and the beautiful waterfall. However- no crocs and no monkeys. Our guide, who carried a loaded shotgun for our protection, or maybe his, told us that we should come in January in stead. Oh well- it was nice.

Above we hid in the grass- can you find us?
Below is the picture our cab driver took. I don't think he should quit is day job.


On the way back we stopped in the town of Bonwire, that is home to Kente cloth- seriously- this is real Kente cloth- (History fact: the people of Kpetoe claims they started it and Ashanti added their own style later). We went to a Kente cloth manufacturer and had the chance to see a weaver in action. I didn’t take pictures because I would need to pay extra and I was strapped for cash- so I will come back when I have money to spend.

Then we headed home. Below is Laura with Betsy special recipe trailmix (raisin bran/plantain chips/ground nuts).

But before I forget- when I left the Bomfobiri Wildlife office I say a bunch of turkeys hanging out near a tro-tro. I thought of how happy this turkeys should be they don’t live in America. Although I am sure they will be someone’s dinner soon. It makes me happy to see turkeys just hanging out with their friends waiting to get on the tro-tro.



No comments: