Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Rabina's Birthday Party and Funny Story




Betsy and I have made friends with two other Oburni’s in Agogo from Canada- Rabina and Laura. Pictured here.

Wednesday night, the day after Rabina’s really birthday, Betsy and I had them over for DVD watching and snack eating. Betsy brought home ice cream and cake from Konongo. I just watched since the ice cream and cake aren’t vegan- no worries I ate cookies. Here is Rabina at her birthday “party”.

While watching a DVD on my computer in our dark living room I felt a bug land on my mouth. This is not too uncommon here, but as I went to swat it away I realized it was HUGE. It was literally covering my lips. As soon as I brushed this GIANT bug off my lips I began to scream. The bug then hit my leg and next landed on Laura’s, who was sitting next to me. I pulled my feet up into the chair I was sitting on and waited for Betsy to turn on the lights. I didn’t see anything at first, but then from under the seat cushion I saw a long antenna. I jump off the couch only after squealing, and yelling to Laura “Open the Door- Open the Door”. By now Betsy had seen the antenna as well so I grabbed the cushion and ran for the door. I hurled the cushion out on to the porch. This event happened around 9:15pm and all four of us were talking loudly while the rest of our neighbors were quiet for once, seriously. I turn over the cushion to reveal the largest grasshopper I had ever seen. It was about as long as a deck of cards and this just made me scream a bit louder. Finally we all started laughing at my fear of this harmless grasshopper. About this time I heard Nicholas, my neighbor, calling to me to see if everything was alright. He was in the middle of putting on a shirt and running over to my front porch. I said, “I’m fine”, feeling embarrassed to be screaming my head off at a grasshopper. He found it funny as well. He said he heard the screams and thought if must be a snake (which would have been my worst nightmare) so he jumped out of bed, got dressed and ran over. It is amazing that Nicholas got to my house so quick- within seconds. He may need to quit teaching and become a firefighter with that response time. I thanked him for his heroic deed and he sweep the grasshopper into the yard and we went back inside to watch our DVD.


Seriously the grasshopper was on my lips- it was scary at the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ewwww

Jen Tatasciore said...

oh no no no no... i would have been so freaked out too!! nothing creepy crawly should ever land on your mouth!!!