Wednesday, November 26, 2008

THANK YOU SCHOOLBOX!!!





I finally got the chance to travel to Kumasi on a week day to visit the post office to-FINALLY- pick up my package from the SCHOOLBOX. The Schoolbox has been my employer for on and off for four years. It is a great teacher supply store with locations around Atlanta (although they also have a store in Tennessee too). You can also check them out at www.schoolbox.com. They were so excited about my trip to teach in Ghana that they told me that would be happy to ship any supplies I would need. I was so excited that I purchased a bunch of really great teacher resource books. The top three books I would highly recommend were:

The First Days of School by Harry K. Wong and Rosemarry T. Wong
-every teacher should have this book!
Look What You Can Make With Dozens of Household Items by
-unfortunately out of print…but worth looking for- my favorite for Arts and Crafts
Alternatives to Worksheets: Motivational Reading and Writing Activities Across the Curriculum by Karen Baur and Rosa Drew- Creative Teaching Press
-fantastic way to get away from worksheets and have the kids make something fun and educational- I use this on a weekly bases throughout the year

I felt like it was my birthday as I opened my package of books, markers, rulers, crayons, and stickers on the post office counter. Also- the employees in the Kumasi general post office are so, friendly! I was astounded by their politeness and helpfulness.

My students at Agogo Presbyterian Training College are very grateful for this donation. I have already logged the new books into my Teacher Resource Center Inventory and have decided to save some of the goodies for a Teacher Learning Materials competition that I am going to hold next semester. I can’t wait!

Also- you should check out www.schoolbox.com because they have a link to a page about my adventure here. There is also a video clip of me before I left the US. Enjoy!

No comments: