Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Visitors from KNUST


Here are Besty, Mariama, Papa, Nana, Ma, and I at our meeting on Monday.


Over a month ago Betsy and I visit Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) and met with the Art Education department. This was due to an art teacher I am friends with back in Atlanta named Cissy. She told me that she had a friend that living in Kumasi. She hooked us up and the rest is now going to make history.

So at our meeting in Kumasi Nana, Mariama, Betsy, and I decided that they should visit our TRC in Agogo to get some ideas for their students TLM assignments. They called last weekend and told us that they would be coming to the TRC Monday, December 15 at 10:30. We were so excited. So we cleaned the house and laid out examples of what our students had made this year so far. It was so nice to see what Betsy and I had accomplished so far this year. Our girls are so creating more and more exciting things.

Nana and Mariama came, meet Ma, meet Papa, visited the TRC, and visited our house for snacks and lunch. It was a great visit. Mariama was adorable as she snapped pictures in the TRC and Nana wrote titles of books down from the collection that Schoolbox shipped. It was a great afternoon. The art education students will be coming here next semester to see what we have going on and hopefully we can send some students to visit KNUST. We are even planning for an international conference that will be held in Kumasi in July. They have asked us to stay on to present at the conference and I am very tempted. Being able to put that on my resume would be fantastic and the experience would be even more exciting.

This will not be the last post about this wonderful partnership.

2 comments:

Liz Babiarz said...

Hi Alison! I'm not sure if you received the e-mails you sent to your schoolbox account, so I thought I'd comment here as well. My name is Liz Babiarz and I'm a writer with Georgia State Magazine, the university's alumni publication. We would like to feature you in a short (400-word) story in the spring issue about your experiences teaching in Ghana. Are you interested? If so, please e-mail me when you can at lbabiarz@gsu.edu. Thanks so much! Hope to hear from you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hello Alison,
You are surely missed. You know that I am not that great with the computer. I am very sorry that I have not been actively keeping up with you. Jasmine is helping me this very moment with posting these comments. I enjoyed reading about your experiences and seeing all of the pictures. I simply loved your wish list. I gave Mrs. Hines your email address this week. Your Knollwood family is well, just working very hard and missing you very much. Now that Jasmine has helped me with this posting I will do a better job keeping in touch. Take care. I will talk to you very soon.