Sunday, September 28, 2008

Out to the Martket on Saturday

Yesterday our country representative hired a tour guide and driver for us. Their job was to show all eleven of us around and let us pick up a few things that we needed before we got out of Accra. So we set off down the road to go to a market that sells touristy stuff/ beautiful art- outfits, baskets, art, jewelry, etc. The next few pictures are what we saw on the way there. The first is a typical street in Accra, not as busy as the downtown or market area.
Typical Street in Accra
As we drove through the city, even busy parts of the city, vendors would walk though the lines of traffic. This reminded me of back home when firefighters or middle school football players ask for money at stoplights, but instead of one or two people is it five or six and they will walk anywhere on the street, not just at stop lights. They also don't ask for money they want you to buy Pringles, batteries, fruit, and water as seen below.
Carrying Water on Her Head
I don't know why I thought that I would only see people carrying things on their heads in the village. It is extremely common here and I am wondering why don't more cultures carry things on their heads. It is also something that old and young people do as well as men and woman. It is just an easy way to move a large item (eg. 7 thin mattresses, crate of glass coke bottles, and the list goes on).
While driving through the neighborhoods near Jamestown Fort (now a prison) it was hard to witness the poverty. I would just remind myself that Ghana has come so far and is still moving forward. Then my glimmers of hope were the football (or soccer) fields as any open area.
Football field in Accra
Finally we reached the National Cultural Centre or Arts Centre this was the arts and craft market. My guide book quoted as saying, "readers begin to be split evenly on whether or not the level of hassle and pushiness is acceptable or not." I would say it was a bit much, although the artists there were quite talented. I also saw a monkey on a chain and almost lost it. Luckily for all of you my camera ran out of battery power.

After the Cultural Centre we treked to the monument for Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana's first president. They just celebrated 50 years of independence in 2007 and you should click here for more information the celebration and history. Even though my camera was dead I wouldn't have been allow to take pictures of this beautiful structure. That is the same for many buildings here- to photos allowed.

After the memorial we drove to the part of town where Makola Market is located. Basically picture New York City, at rush hour, traffic jams, in the heat of the summer, and then multiply that by 2. It was crazy. So we had had enough hassle full shopping so we voted to just see it from the road. It is the one of the largest markets in Ghana, and it is probably the biggest I will ever see. It is said that Accra population triples when Makola Market is open- which is daily.

Next stop was lunch at Dynasty Chinese Restaurant. It was expensive and pretty. I didn't eat, because I didn't want to chance getting an upset stomach. For those that don't know me- I have IBS and it causes me to worry about eating or not eating. So far on this trip I hadn't missed a meal until this lunch. I also made up for it by eating a whole plate of Red Red when I got back to the hotel.

After the Chinese Restaurant we saw where WEB Du Bois is buried. If you don't know of this mans accomplishments click here. This was something I wanted to see while in town, but unfortunately there were no more tours for the day.

Last stop on this long day was to the Accra Mall. It was extremely westernized and expensive. I did however find Soy Milk!!! It was as at a store called Shoprite. They had a brand I had never heard of and Silk. I bought both. I also saw tons of fake meats in the freezer section. I was in heaven, but didn't buy any because I really want to try new things while I am away, but at least I know where I can go.

That is pretty much the day. Today I am off to the beach!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates, Alison. Harmony and I are looking forward to reading and seeing how you're doing. Best of luck!

alison lamar said...

I hope your feeling better Sam!

Anonymous said...

Hey there Alison...this is so cool! I am so glad you made it there safely. I will definitely check out your blog on a regular basis as you have some really interesting things going on there. BTW what is Red Red?

Miss you and all the Knollwood gang!

Sanji A. English : 0 )

The Evangelist said...

Hey there!

You have an interesting blog!

I look forward to reading more about this fascinating adventure!

I am in the final stages of my trip planning so that I can come to Accra! I plan to live there for a year and start a tiny nonprofit organization that will serve as a nucleus for the churches in the U.S. that are interested in investing in missions in Ghana. I hope to train missions teams when they arrive in Ghana and locate places where they can offer to help for the time that they are there!

I look forward to reaching out to you in email.

Right now, I am in the process of looking for a host family in Accra, Ghana who would like a woman minister in their household for one to three months before I strike out on my own. I think that staying with a host family will make the transition easier and will also allow me to share with the family!

Keep writing more! It's great!
"Paul"

(yes, a clergywoman who is nicknamed "Paul"!! *smiles*)

mcgeek said...

I am jealous! You know I am a history buff!